By using this site, you agree that you will not post, publish or submit as work any of the following material:
- Material that infringes the copyright of another person (plagiarism, or passing off other peoples material as your own) or copyright material not referenced or acknowledged.
- Unauthorized posting of personal information (names, address, phone number, email etc.) of other users.
- Material that contains vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images.
- Material which defames, abuses or threatens others.
- Statements that are bigoted, hateful or racially offensive.
- Material that advocates illegal activity or discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
- No Flaming; there is a difference between voicing a legitimate concern or grievance and simply badmouthing or some other form of written abuse of someone or some service. These will be deleted upon discovery.
- Posts or other material which is deemed inappropriate by the site administrators or appropriate team managers will be deleted upon discovery. Users who violate the Terms of Service may lose their account permanently.
- Account suspensions are at the sole discretion of Digital.
- All users are required to provide a valid email address where they can be contacted at any time.
- Any person actively using these sites is implicitly agreeing to these rules regardless of whether they have been read or not.
If you are unhappy about anything which you see anywhere on our sites, please email the team coordinators at Digital TheTeam@DigitalStrategyConsulting.com.
ESCAPIST FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT
The Escapist forums are different than most. We want our forums to be a place where everyone can gather to socialize and talk with like-minded people in a safe and welcoming environment. In order to make that happen, we have certain rules we ask all members of our community to adhere to. These rules will be vigorously enforced so that a handful of bad apples don’t spoil it for everyone else.
Above all other rules is Rule Zero. D&D fans will likely appreciate and understand Rule 0, which states that the DM (Dungeon Master) is always right. In the case of the forums, the moderator or staff member is always right. Any other rule that appears to have a gray area will be subject first to Rule 0, then to other aspects of the Forum and Personal Conduct rules below.
If for any reason you feel you’ve been wronged by moderation or staff, you are entitled to appeal their decision if they imposed an infraction on your account, but you are not allowed openly argue with them about it. This is a privately owned forum that’s open to the public. Whatever right you feel you have to speak your mind is a privilege here. Don’t abuse it.
HAVE RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for that opinion. If you can’t communicate without using combative, aggressive, or passive aggressive responses, then consider that these may not be the forums for you. Focus your response on your disagreement with a person’s opinion, not on the person.
As it pertains to discussion, disagreement is unavoidable. However, this is not a license to misbehave – you must provide reasoning and justification for your statements. If you don’t like a thread, the people in it, or anyone involved, don’t post in it.
HAVE RESPECT FOR THE MODERATION TEAM AND ESCAPIST STAFF
The moderation team is made up of the ever present volunteer guardians who work very hard to keep the forums clean, according to the Code of Conduct. The moderators and Escapist staff are here to make the website a place you want to visit. While we will listen to your complaints and give you what information we can, please understand that there are just some things we simply cannot discuss.
Neither the Escapist staff nor moderation team is to be used as a punching bag for you to vent your frustrations. If you have a problem with moderation or the rules, there is an appeals system in place for that.
CONTENT AND COMMUNICATION
A well-made thread or a well-written comment engages its audience and facilitates discussion. We do ask that posters take just a little time to make their posts as readable as possible and keep their responses on topic, and also take a moment to check spelling and grammar.
Our forums are not a place to advertise your blog, webpage, YouTube channel or commercial enterprise. Similarly, posts including, advocating, or linking to illegal or adult material are a very quick way to end your time as part of The Escapist community, which should generally be kept to a PG-13 standard.
ZERO TOLERANCE OFFENSES
This section of the Code of Conduct also includes special circumstances that overrule any other type of warning and result in immediate removal of your posting privilege. Note: These circumstances cannot be appealed and will not expire.
- Ban Jumping
If you attempt to post on multiple accounts, circumventing a ban or any level of discipline, you and any other account you use will be automatically banned.
- Targeted Harassment & Bullying
Following a user from thread to thread, insulting and harassing specifically them, or sending repeated harassing private messages. Any incident of personal harassment or bullying of another will be met with an immediate ban.
- Illegal Acts or Materials
Posting, admitting to, or advocating any illegal act or content, such as footage or images of any crime, will lead to immediate ban and forwarding of any and all information to the appropriate authorities.
- Advertising / Referral Traffic
The Escapist forums are not a place to advertise your website or a place to spam referral links of any kind. We consider any such post to be Spam, and will remove it and your access as necessary.
Infraction Offenses are just as the name suggests. Any violation of the following rules will result in an infraction being placed on your account. For more information on how penalties work, please see the Penalty System section below. Note: Those who are incorrectly banned under this level may appeal the decision and have it overturned.
- Inflammatory Comments / Trolling
You may not post anything that is reasonably considered discriminatory towards other members. (i.e. homophobic, prejudiced or any other comments that would be deemed as hate speech)
- “Extreme” Content / Offensive Posts
No extreme content (‘shock’ images, obscene videos, text, and anything else that the moderators see as extreme or offensive are also not permitted)
- Piracy, Illegal Narcotics, or Ad-blockers
Do not link sites for piracy, drugs, or ad circumvention, nor advocate or admit to the use of any of the above. While discussions of these topics may come up anecdotally, the proliferation of material is disallowed on these forums.
Bear in mind any discussion of pornography will still be subject to the PG-13 standard, and linking to any pornographic material will be in breach of that standard.
- Sexist, Racist, or Perverted Remarks
As it pertains to the comfort and safety of other posters, please keep sexist, racist, or grossly perverted remarks out of your posts.
MINOR ISSUE OFFENSES
Minor issues do not carry an infraction as a penalty for any of the below listed types of offenses on their own. However, repeated offenses will carry an infraction as punishment. The “excessive use” will be determined by a moderator and may vary depending on the situation/topic at hand. Keep it classy.
- Pictures, Links and Videos
Pictures, links and videos are permitted as long as there is a context to why it’s posted. Purposeful use of jokes, images, or videos are allowed if it serves to enhance the thread, whereas posting random meme images unrelated to the topic does not.
- Topic-less Thread Creation
We encourage our community to make posts that help nurture a healthy discussion or debate. Posting a thread without any discussion value, or with a deliberately misleading title, is discouraged. This includes creating a poll without an accompanying discussion or beginning a thread with an original post that does not sufficiently explain the topic.
- Excessive Profanity
Swearing is permitted on the forums, but only in moderation within posts, and never within titles of topics.
- Backseat Moderating
Please allow our moderators to do their jobs. If you encounter someone breaking the rules, please click on the flag in the top right corner of their post for our team to review. It’s not up to you to enforce the rules, only to obey them.
YOUR HEALTH BAR EXPLAINED – THE PENALTY SYSTEM
Any breaches of the above rules may result in penalties on the account. The Escapist uses a strike system that grants you a maximum amount of 8 penalties to learn how to adhere to forum policies. Here is the breakdown of all 8 stages:
- Warning (Green)
Warnings do not negatively impact your account but will stack against you for penalties. You may accrue up to 4 warnings before it automatically becomes probation.
- Probation (Yellow)
This is your final warning. All penalties after this will be suspensions, and all badges for good behavior will be negated.
- 3-day Suspension (Red)
You will be unable to post in the forums for three days, and all badges for good behavior will be negated.
- 2-week Suspension (Red)
You will be unable to post in the forums for two weeks, and all badges for good behavior will be negated.
- Permanent Ban (Red)
Your posting rights on the site, as well as other methods of community participation, will be revoked permanently.
This health bar serves as a danger meter for accounts. The higher the bar becomes, the more red the strikes and the higher the risk of major infractions.
After every 6 months without any warnings, you will drop down one level on the Forum Health Meter. After 2 years without any warnings, your meter will be returned to 0, regardless of where it was before. These adjustments don’t apply to any users that have been permanently banned, and they don’t remove the history that the moderators can see on your account. Anyone that is found “gaming the system” will be held accountable for it.
APPEAL SYSTEM AND COMMUNICATION
When you receive an infraction, a message will appear in your inbox with a link to the appeal system. This goes directly to a staff member and will use the email you registered your account with, so please refrain from abuse (and check your spam or junk folder).
Replies to appeals may usually take up to 2 days. If it takes a little longer please be patient.
OFFICIAL STAFF GROUP DISCUSSION AND COMMUNICATION
Official Staff Groups are groups are monitored by the staff and an easy means to communicate with the Escapist staff and moderators. While other groups are not officially monitored, the groups below follow the same rules as any forum post. These groups are specifically meant to discuss site related topics with those that can assist you with your inquiry. They are not meant for arguments or other off-topic banter.
- The Moderator Team
The Moderator Team group is meant specifically for community members to report issues to our moderator team that they may have otherwise missed or request clarifications on misunderstood rules. It is NOT a place to argue regarding decisions they’ve made, or lack thereof.
- Ideas for The Escapist
This group is a place where you can share your ideas for The Escapist. If you have ideas you wish to see on the site, rules you wish changed, added or removed, or any other similar content, this is the group to post it in.
- The Tech Team
The Tech Team group is the place to post any bugs or other technical issues you discover on the site. Please be as descriptive of your issue as possible. While the Tech Team thinks they’re miracle workers on their own, they still need a little help to ensure that your issue is fixed.
Here on the RuneScape forums, we’ve all come to have fun and enjoy ourselves. For most forumers, what you can and can’t say should be common sense – be respectful of others, do not be a fool, do not break the Rules of RuneScape and you’ll be fine.
If you’re new to the forums, or you’d like a refresher, you may want to have a quick read of the below so you know what is and isn’t permitted. Please note that the below applies to both your posts, and your forum signatures.
Obey all RuneScape Rules
Bit of a no-brainer; do not break any RuneScape Rules in your posts. Click here to read up on them. All of those rules apply here.
Be respectful of your fellow forumers at all times
- We’re not after keyboard warriors here! Do not attack or flame any players, no matter any history you have. It isn’t permitted on the forums.
- Do not post vulgar or profane content, and do not use inappropriate language on the forums. In particular, swearing is not allowed on the forums. Do not give inappropriate references to bodily functions, and no innuendo’s please; nobody wants to see it.
- You cannot show a specific player in a negative light, so no naming and shaming. Posts to start or advertise trust trading is not permitted on the forums.
No Spam or Meaningless Content
- Make sure your threads have a reason for discussion when you create them – instead of “I do not like slayer”, tell everyone what you do not like and how to make it better.
- Do not post in all caps, do not stretch your post unnecessarily with line breaks or tabs, do not post ASCII art outside of the designated threads.
- Confidential information must not be posted on the public forums, e.g Specialist forum information, confidential information relating to RuneScape, Jagex, or other Jagex products, inbox messages sent to you privately, etc.
- Do not bump or restart discussion on threads where discussions have finished, i.e “Gravebumping”.
Do Not make Duplicate Threads, and do Not Steal Another Player’s Thread content
- Do not post a new thread when the discussion point has already been raised in other recent threads – use the search feature on the forums to check first!
- No duplicating a thread in the same forum or across several forums, and do not post the same message repeatedly in a single thread.
- Do not copy somebody else’s thread (plagiarism) – thread content belongs to the account which first posted it or the clan which they posted it for.
Stay on the topic of the original post – do not hijack another thread
- When replying to a post, make sure your response is on topic with the original post. Do not take it off track.
- Do not intentionally derail another thread, be respectful of other’s work.
- Do not purposely start an off-topic argument for the sake of it.
Do not start a discussion on a potentially sensitive topic, for example religion or politics
- As religion and politics are prone to start flame wars or cause grief, they are not up for discussion here.
- Do not target any communities with the intention to create a sensitive discussion.
No advertising any other website except for recognised fansites
- Links are only permitted for pages on the RuneScape website only
- No advertising any other website except for recognised fansites
- You may post your social media name, as long as you do not link to the specific website: ie Follow me on Twitter @example; NOT follow me on www.twitter.com @example. This is to prevent users from linking you to malicious websites.
Do not discuss, target or impersonate Forum Moderators or their actions
- Forum moderators (FMODs) can be identified by the green border and crown
- Forum Moderators are here to keep the peace and help the Forums stay a positive, friendly community. Targeting them or their actions publicly will not be tolerated.
- Do not create threads to harass, discredit, or argue against a Forum moderator
- Do not circumvent a mute or ban you have received by returning on another account to continue the argument.
- Do not try to pretend to be a Forum moderator – only posts with a green border on them are those of a Forum Moderator and it’ll be very obvious if you do!
- Sometimes you may disagree with decisions made. We have a thread that you can post in to have the action taken against you reviewed, called “moderation review”, in the community home. This is the only way you can have the action changed or reviewed.
Images posted must be appropriate for these forums
- Images must not include or display:
- Cheating, gambling, or circumventing other Jagex rules.
- Excessive Gore or mutilation
- “Hate Speech” – Demeaning race, gender, age, religious or sexual orientation, etc.
- Threats, harassment or language that is generally considered rude – including swearing
- Content that encourages violence or crime
- Illegal activities, such as drug use.
- Any type of sexual content or inappropriate nudity
Any images that contain the above will be removed.
- Do not use images which are copyrighted or trademarked. Any usage will be at the poster’s own risk.
- Posting images containing sexual content will result in an immediate and permanent forum ban without warning.
- Jagex reserves the right to delete any image which it deems inappropriate.
Before you go…
- Some of these rules may be interpreted differently by different people. Jagex and Forum moderators will always do what they think is best to protect this community.
- These rules are not exhaustive, and it may be necessary to take action against accounts in order to remove disruptive behaviour, even if it is not specifically mentioned here.
- All Moderators may sometimes use their personal judgement in order to curtail or remove disruptive behaviour that is not clearly covered here, on a case by case basis. When forum moderators apply this rule, the situation will always be reviewed by Jagex Staff and if necessary, clarified for future reference in the rule set.